The Design protects
- the visual (aesthetic) design of an object, i.e. its external shaping or the visual design of a surface, e.g. pattern or ornament
- no visual designs which are in fact a mere consequence of a technical function
- visual designs which are “individual” over the previously known wealth of visual designs
- the design can be renewed many times, in Switzerland four times for periods of 5 years each time. The total lifetime is 25 years.
- the design valid for the EU is known as “Community Design”.